Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You can tell i m a beginner.

Today after peppering the target many times and wondering why they were not going where i was aiming, i decided there was something wrong with the bow. I was firing my take down bow so i figured it was where the limbs joined to the riser. When attached and tightened i would be able to move the limbs  from side to side a little so when strung the string would sit off centre by about an 1/8 of an inch.

Back to the workshop with it to get rid of the looseness, then back out to fire some more shots. Still to my annoyance the arrows were going everywhere, so i gave up for the day.

My wife is out and i m trying to find something to keep me occupied, so as its a bright night i thought i d take the longbow out for a fue shots. The arrows fly fast, straight and where i want them, Something then dawns on me. I had read in a book that you need the right weight arrows (not just length) for the poundage of bow being used.

My longbow has a draw weight of 50pounds  where my take down has a draw weight of just 40pounds not a big difference you d think. My arrows have aluminum spines with 110 grain target points. My search for the right arrows for the take down begins.

Thanks for reading my babble.

3 comments:

  1. When you say the right weight of arrow, what you mean is the right spine of arrow.
    Spine is a measure of the flexure of the arrow shaft. Picking the right spine can be... interesting. A lot of things affect the choice: arrow length, point weight, bow type, bow weight, string type, etc.
    A good archery shop or experienced fletcher can help you determine the right arrow by asking you a few questions about you and your equipment. But be warned, you need someone familiar with traditional archery. Most archery shops are better acquainted with compound bows and may not have the knowledge needed to properly help you. If a shop employee says, "the chart says you need..." Politely decline the advice and go elsewhere. The charts are usually wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exellent thank you for the advice.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think fletching should be a future project. Your blog will be very helpfull.

    Thanks again
    Nick

    ReplyDelete

A handy place to buy reasonably priced equipment.

Helpful hints and tips very welcome!!

If anybody has any helpful hints about ways I could improve my work, please send them across. I will have a go at putting together a detailed build along for the next bow i make. Also if anyone has any questions i will do my best to answer or find the answer.

Thanks for reading!!

Nick

Ponder this!!